Sunday, April 7, 2013

This Bowler's "Frame" of Mind

   Every day of my life is a new beginning. The opportunity to achieve, produce, improve, or just plain live is enhanced by occupying a physical body that is fit and strong. Even when a day has been wasted in whatever way it was misspent, there is the likelihood that there are more days remaining to make up for lost time than there used to be.
   It is not enough, however, to simply work, play, and fulfill obligations with the renewed vigor that each day brings. There are and always will be improvements to make in all parts of life. It is a MUST to have goals to pursue. To this end, organization and structure of one's time is necessary. Consistent study and practice are the only way to achieve any endeavor.
   So what are my major goals and objectives? In the physical realm, training for increased strength and fitness is always top priority. This, in turn, enhances my performance in all things physical and mental. Bowling is my number one physical passion. It is no coincidence that while I'm by light-years in the best physical condition of my life, my skills as a bowler are the best they've ever been and getting better. The stronger and fitter I become, the more finely tuned and controlled my game gets. Better push-off step, stronger release, more extended follow-through, etc. It all adds up to (usually) stellar results.
   In the arena of the mental, my main interests are chess and mathematics. These are areas that require study time that I am highly in need of organizing. It is my desire to renew and relearn calculus from the self-teaching manuals I have acquired. Also, I have been wanting to become as proficient as possible with Microsoft Office 2010 software as possible. Obviously, a regular study and practice time schedule is necessary for those pursuits while procrastination must be put to an end.
   There is a requirement for fitness and strength in tournament chess as well. If you spend the time and money it takes to compete in tourneys, then you need stamina to exert the mental energy required to play serious, contested, and often very lengthy matches. It stands to reason that the fitter you are, the clearer and more focused your mind becomes. At times I am in high form and playing strong, but usually my play is erratic and inconsistent. Organized study time needs to be applied here as well.
   With physical and mental competition and educational pursuits desire, discipline, organization, and determination are what it takes to become the best me (and you) that I (and you) can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment